Monday, January 7, 2008

Blind

Is it really stepping out blindly if God sees where I'm going?

Are His eyes not perfect?

I am legally blind without corrective lenses. But after an examination and a prescription and a fitting, and I can see.

I remember my first pair of glasses. It was in the winter of my third grade year. I stepped out of the optometrist's office onto a snowy sidewalk on Main Street in a little Kansas town. And when I looked down the street, it was as if a whole new world had been unveiled. Even at that young age, I was already legally blind, but no one had known. Not my parents. Not me. I was very, very nearsighted, lacking the ability to see distance. Suddenly, in the literal blink of an eye, I gained perspective.

I could see all the way down the street, blocks and blocks ahead, to the point artists call "the vanishing point", where left and right converge in the middle, where all angles meet at the horizon. It was the most amazing thing I'd ever seen! It changed my life forever because it caused me to pick up pencil and paper and begin drawing. I could see! I needed to document it!

And here I sit, documenting even now.

It's time for a re-exam. God is about to change my prescription and give me a fresh perspective. I can feel it. There's nothing to fear. There's something I've been missing, and now I will see.

God examines the eyes of my heart. He understands exactly what I need. He has prescribed the perfect lens. Now I sit here, ready to be fitted.

No comments: