Thursday, January 3, 2008

Awake

It's 3a.m. What on earth am I doing awake? I haven't had my requisite 8 or 9 hours of sleep! But here I am, in a bathrobe, sitting in a cold room, writing.

I woke with my brain trying to write. Why? I evidently forgot to shut off my brain before bed. Can one really turn off one's mind? Mine seems to be missing a switch. It's as if it gets to the overflow mark and the release valve kicks in... and out this stuff pours.

What is there to write about at 3a.m.? Usually, I find that when I wake in the night, that's God's "special" time for me. It's His "Lisa, we need to talk" time. So I obediently (albeit somewhat hesitantly at times) get up and get out pen and paper and start writing.

So, hey, God. What's up tonight?

New Year. Resolutions. Make time. Get up.

Ouch.

Did I leave God out of my planning again? Did I forget to seek Him and His advice prior to making a life step? No, but I came close.

This is a reminder.

I need to make time with Him a priority. THE priority.

You don't need as much sleep as you think you need. (Grin) The daily quiet time needs to be a commitment... "break-fast". Not a snack. Get in that Bible. Read. Pray. Listen. Write. This is the Year of Shining. This is the year to be inwardly reflective and then to shine outwardly. It's time to polish the mirror. It's time to feed the fire. It's time to come out from under the bushel and shine. Be a lighthouse.

This blog is not just the musings of a 44-year-old empty-nester. It's a way to practice openness. Publicly. Allow others in. Provoke thought. Stimulate.

A natural stimulant. Sounds like Milk of Magnesia! Spiritual M.O.M. Flush out the toxins, restore regularity. That's what 3a.m. is about.

OK, God. I'm listening.

"Seek first His kingdom and His righteousness and all these things will be given to you as well."

Seeking implies action. Research. His kingdom? His kingship? His people? What is His righteousness? What is righteousness in the first place? And what things will be added? Ah, I think He just gave me what to study in my next few quiet times.

I need to put God where He's supposed to be, on the throne of my heart. My Lord. The One I serve. Does He call me at 3a.m.? Get up and serve. Submit. His is not a heavy burden. Why resist? Why question? Does He not love me? Does He not protect me? Did He not give His very life for me?

How does one show gratitude? By serving with love. By being attentive. Trusting.

How does one demonstrate trust? Is it really stepping out blindly if God sees where I am going? More on that later.

No comments: