Thursday, July 17, 2008

Ode to Beautiful Feet


Cute shoes are climbing up my list of life’s good things.

It’s because I find myself looking at my own feet a lot lately. I have to watch where they are going so that I don’t a) fall in my “disequilibrium”, or b) step in an ant hill, after last month’s allergic reaction episode. (Read the June 9 post entitled “Kiss My Grits!”)

Now, generally I do not pay much attention to feet. I have not considered them to be worthy of noting. I mean, c’mon- how many famous pieces of artwork have been devoted to them? Can you even think of any? In fact, many artists say feet are the most difficult body part to accurately render. Feet are utilitarian. Mundane. They are (forgive me) pedestrian.

I was watching TV the other day and a commercial came on for this egg-shaped callous remover thingy. The women were shown scrubbing it all over their scaly feet. Then they demonstrated the effectiveness of the device by (GAG!) emptying the reservoir onto a cloth…in full view of the audience! Boy, talk about an appetite suppressant! I ran into the bathroom (well, “ran” is probably an exaggeration considering the fact that I can’t even walk fast right now) and soaked my feet in the tub as a preventative measure.

Nobody wants scaly feet. We want beautiful feet.

God has something to say about that.

“How beautiful on the mountains are the feet of those who bring good news,” He says in Isaiah 52:7. And in Psalm 121:1, He talks about lifting our eyes to look to the hills, to search for help. That help, the psalmist says, comes from God, who made the mountain. Put it together and you’ve got a vision of one coming from God with good news. That one is Christ. And then, because we are to be His hands and feet, it becomes our legacy. We are to have the beautiful feet that bring the Good News, to help others.

He enables us to go on the heights. (Habakkuk 3:19) That’s where we are empowered.

He leads us through the valley of the shadow of death. (Psalm 23:4) That’s where the lost are.

He will not let our foot slip.(Psalm 121:3) That’s His protection.

Jesus had the most beautiful feet in the whole world and I can inherit them!

Gotta go, y’all. My feet (and my spirit) need a little soak in preparation of some mountain climbing and valley searching. I’ve got the added benefit of Old Navy’s black and white scrollwork satin flats on clearance for $15. But as for that TV scrubby thing...

2 comments:

B His Girl said...

Wow Lisa, I read your comment off Lysa's blog. You have come a long way baby to get where you are today!(Line from commercial years ago) Praise God! He is faithful. Yes, I would say you have some beautiful feet. My friend B is an artist. She painted those beautiful feet you talked about today. I think God wants me to send you a little foot reminder of your walk with Jesus. Check out the print emmauspainting.com and let me know. May God continue to His light shine in your life.
B His Girl

Chef Diane said...

Hi there,
I am the person who will be praying for you this week. I would love to try something with you. We did it one year at church. At a specific time we pray for each other.
I am in VA, where are you and when is a good time for you. It is really cool.
I have been through lots of MRI's. What helps me is to use the musi headphones they provide. If they are not available then try to just use that time to pray. It is really helpful if you can let you mind not focus on what is going on. Please keep me update so I can pray specific.
Blessings,
Diane
dapple1984@aol.com