Thursday, September 25, 2008

Lighten Up

The bed in my daughter’s old room is covered with blankets and pillows. And curtains and bedspreads and lengths of fabric and silk plants.

It all started about six weeks ago when I was cleaning out closets in preparation of storing my son’s belongings during his exchange-student year in Japan. I found more than I remembered being there.

Then twice in two days I’ve come across stories of people who decided to clean their homes of excess. I sat down to my Scripture-of-the-day calendar this morning: it was about offering back to God so that He can re-offer it to others. When there’s a subject God hits that often in that short a period, I’ve learned to take heed.

Here in Charlotte, there’s a place called The Butterfly Bin. (Actually, they are in the process of moving to a new warehouse in Huntersville.) It’s a place where we can donate all the things it takes to set up house: furniture, bedding, linens, dishes, kitchen essentials, small appliances, curtains, décor items, etc. People who are setting up their homes and are in need (for example: young folk who have aged out of the foster care system, women emerging from prison, homeless families getting back on their feet- all pre-screened by various organizations) are given vouchers to “shop” for free there.

What better place to donate my good-but-unused-and-doing-no-good-in-the-closet stuff? Here, it’s just taking up space. There, it can warm a home and a heart.

How about your cabinets and closets? Are they like mine, crammed full of things you can let go of? I found a pretty set of dishes and three mixing bowls to add to my pile. And I’m going back in.

3 comments:

ThePastL said...

Hm. I don't really know what to say other than that is truly an encouragement. Clean out the clutter... It can also relate to our lives. We, as Christians, have the opportunity in Christ to clean the "clutter' of our lives. That cleansing process makes us more receptable to the more important things in life. Getting rid of our bitterness and hatred, unforgiveness, selfishness, lack of faith... and so much more. It gives us space to be filled with the likeness of Christ instead of our dirty human, fleshly nature.
Having that likeness renewed day by day is the hardest part once the renewing begins... for it just doesn't end. :-)Oh what a great reminder! :-)

Daiquiri said...

I'm feeling the crunch of having too much "stuff" too! I just finished going through a couple of rooms with a garbage bag and two totes...one tote for "put somewhere else" stuff, and the other for "donate". It feels so good to de-clutter and to give useful stuff to someone who might get good use from it :)

Ruth said...

Yep, I love doing this! It is such a lovely feeling :-)

Ruth xx