Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Fish Belly Again

First, God prompts writing on a certain topic.
Then, He gives an experience to keep it fresh.
He is just the Master of timing!

So, after Monday’s post about Jonah, here I sit in the belly of the fish.

What’s up, God? Can we get this lesson over so I can move on?

God’s mental note: Add another day in the fish belly to teach patience.

Tuesday started out pretty well. I was just a little tired. I went down for my daily nap and woke two hours later with the inability to focus my eyes and an unsettling perception that horizontal surfaces are actually vertical and vice-versa. I recognize these as symptoms of my as-of-yet undiagnosed condition, so I am not terribly alarmed. I just pretend I’m Spiderwoman climbing the walls when I’m actually crawling on the floor.

Oh, except that after a few minutes, I get tired and then I’m just mad.

OK, so I have to call my boss and tell him I’m not coming in. Great. Love that, especially the blubbery part where I break down into tears on the phone. Super.

And did I mention that there’s a man in my backyard, digging a new septic field? It means I cannot flush the toilet for the next several hours. Lovely. Oh, and he just hit the cable line, which means my TV is useless and my internet down. Until the cable guy can come and repair it, scheduled between 10am and noon- TOMORROW!

I can still type, right? But my coordination is so off that I accidentally invent new words. Nto os muhc frun.

Happy times, y’all!

A few hours later, my husband (who took the day off to supervise the septic event) is dozing. I must have talked his ears into the buzzing range. I realize that my vision has improved when the six paintings over the fireplace have returned to their usual three. Great! Now I can at least read! What do I have to read? There’s the latest issue of my Martha Stewart magazine on the end table.

Then God draws my eye to the Bible sitting on the coffee table in the sunroom. Oh.

I am drawn into a world of Old Testament kings and warriors and the servant girls who point them to God for healing. My heart relaxes, my eyes behave and I read until bedtime.

In the middle of the night, God whispers for me to get up and write. I protest, and then realize that He has given me a topic for an article that I need to write. The fat-finger syndrome is gone and typing is normal. Praise God! And how amazing to find that He put a computer in the fish belly. He thinks of everything, doesn’t He?

3 comments:

Jenifer said...

Hey, Lisa. Thanks for visiting with me. I so wish I was going to the She Speaks Conference. Maybe next year. Are you going?

Blessings to you new friend. I will pray that you soon learn what God is teaching you so that you can get out of that fish's belly. :)

Blessings,
Jenifer

Krista said...

I enjoyed reading your post. It was funny and entertaining, but like Jenifer...I hope you get the lesson soon. I can relate! Have a blessed day!

Joyfulsister said...

I found your blog while visiting Tammy, I get those nudgings from the Lord in the midnight hours, his way of saying you need to write what I'm pouring into your soul, he does that in those times when I realize that yes!! there is something in the depth of my soul that is yearnig to let it self out. I call them my soul cries and they bring such a healing when it is surfaced, so my sister when he nudges you to write, you write with all that is in within you, it's a priceless gift.
Aloha Lorie